Skip to main content

#seesawchat

I was very skeptical about the idea of a Twitter chat. I was unsure of what it would be like to connect with educators around the globe all through Twitter. I chose to attend the #seesawchat on Thursday, September 28. My school does not use Seesaw but it is a program that some of my friends use in their districts and I was curious to learn more. Family connections are incredibly important and often hard to make when there is a language barrier. Seesaw allows families to connect with students through online portfolios, newsletters, daily photos and videos, and so much more.

The Twitter chat that I attended was organized into different questions. The moderator posted the questions about 10 minutes apart so there was time to chat with the others in the chat. The first question asked where we were from and what grade we teach. It was so neat to see people joining in my halfway around the world and also people who lived close by to me. Seeing the different subjects people taught was also very interesting. There was a huge age range present in the chat. Language teachers, reading teachers, and technology teachers were also present.

The next few questions asked about different ways the educators use Seesaw in their classroom. Many talked about the ability for parents to view it in their own language, which is a great feature because 72% of my parents do not speak English. The educators also talked about their experience with the different features on Seesaw. Many tweeted about how they are able to connect with parents via video, photo, and written comments. They also talked about the ability to share student work in seconds. It was really neat to hear about how many different ways their are to incorporate Seesaw into a daily routine. Some of the educators had such creative ideas.

I really liked attending the Twitter chat. It was really neat to connect with educators around the world and share thoughts and ideas. I liked the perspectives I gained from hearing from so many different educators as well. While I the thought did not cross my mind the entire hour of the chat, I began to realize after, that the Twitter chat was a form of professional development. I liked this form of professional development because I was actively engaged while learning. Often times, professional development is in the form a day-long lecture or meeting but this was completely different. I was able to choose what I wanted to learn about and I was able to interact and engage, two very important pieces for me.

I also liked this as a form of professional development because I was able to interact with individuals all around the world. During a typical professional development, I only interact with my teaching team and a few other teachers within the district. Hearing fresh ideas and perspectives was great. I was also able to connect with the individuals by following them on Twitter, so now I am able to see what they are doing in their classrooms as well.

My final reason is that I did it on my own time. I was able to choose the Twitter chat I attended and also the time I attended it. I did not take any time out of my school day to do this. Professional development often falls during the school day so a substitute teacher is necessary but with Twitter chat, I am able to grow as an educator without leaving my classroom behind.

My Twitter chat experience was a very positive one. I really enjoyed hearing different ideas from educators around the world and also learning more about a very useful program. I hope to incorporate Seesaw into my classroom and engage families in new and unique ways.

Comments

  1. You pretty much hit on all of the reasons to use Twitter chats. I agree with all of the points that you made, especially that one where you state that you get to hear perspectives from all over the world not just the people with whom you work. I love being able to talk to new people and to chose when I do it. I also like the way you decided whether to use Seesaw based on what you saw in the chat because you had been thinking about using it and the chat gave you enough into to decide to use it. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Native v. Digital Immigrant...what are you?

I had never heard of the concept of "Digital Natives" and "Digital Immigrants" until this module's readings. The second I started reading Marc Prensky's articles though, the whole idea clicked and actually made sense. Digital natives are those who have lived their whole lives surrounded by technology. Digital immigrants are those who have adopted technology and it's language later in their lives. I would consider myself a digital immigrant. I still remember growing up when my family got dial-up internet. My sister and I thought it was the coolest thing. I also remember having a MySpace profile, something that is completely irrelevant now. The first iPod that I got for Christmas--it was a brick compared to the iPod's children have today. All of these things may date me (even though I am only 23!) but I have adopted the new ways of technology and forced myself to learn them. Gee uses the word "practice" to explain how immigrants can learn th

Using Blogs to Meet Learning Standards

Blogs present a unique opportunity to engage students in technology based learning. Van Olphen, Hofer and Harris presented interesting points in their article "Grounded Tech Instruction: Languages". Their idea of matching technology integration to existing lesson methods is exactly what I currently do in my classroom. I teach Kindergarten with about half of my class being ENL students. These students often times are brushed over because "they do not understand", but these students yearn to learn and are often very bright. I try to engage my ENL students using unique methods that not only get them thinking about English but also allowing them to speak in their own language. Blogging in my classroom would open a whole new window of possibility. One way that blogging could engage my students would be in Step Up To Writing preparation. Step Up To Writing is the writing initiative and assessment in Buffalo Public Schools. The program is very comprehensive and througho

Can You Keep Up?

Technology is moving faster than most educators can keep up. I am included in that group of educators. My students come to school with a diverse knowledge of technology and how it works. The switch to this new kind of education was highlighted very well by the schools in New Brunswick, Canada.  The school district explains that "Education as we know it may be obsolete". My biggest concern still remains; what does this mean for educators like myself? I will be the first to admit that my students are much more tech savvy than I am. They know what to do when the computer freezes or the tablet is not working properly. They can diagnose just about every problem on an iPhone and can easily list a plethora of websites and game sites. When I was in Kindergarten, I learned how to color. I knew my letters and numbers and I began to read and write. My students can do much more than I can in some aspects, but they miss out on others. When thinking about my Kindergarten experience, my tea