Skip to main content

Is it filter bubbles? ....or us?

When thinking about the Facebook filter bubble controversy, it instantly made me think about my own Facebook account. I have noticed that on my own account, many of the suggested articles and links, all have to do with things that I have previously clicked on or looked at. For example, I recently read articles on better ways to teach guided reading. I noticed that many of my suggested articles were about guided reading and education for a few weeks following. The idea that Facebook is "shaping my opinion" on things is scary.

Pariser perfectly outlines this when he talks about the balance between "information vegetables, dessert, and junk food". When thinking in terms of my own Newsfeed, I have noticed that it is often filled with "information dessert and junk food". Many times, it is not my choice. I am an avid reader of the "information vegetables" but I do occasionally read articles considered "information junk food". For example, when Princess Kate announced that she was pregnant with her third child, I read the news articles on it. For the next few days, my suggested articles revolved around royal family gossip. (I secretly love reading about the royal family and the history behind it!) Facebook immediately picked up on my interest and started suggesting articles that were similar. Most of these articles, did not come from a valid news source.

Jessica Conditt reported that Facebook has begun to redesign its suggested articles into a Trending News section. When I first read about this, I was a little bit shocked. The article was written in May of 2017, making it very relevant to today's issues. Yet, when I log onto Facebook, I do not notice any change. The articles that are "Trending" are often irrelevant news sources or topics that should not be considered the most important topics for the day. A great example would be the recent terror attack on the underground train system in London. The attack should have been a trending article, but instead Selena Gomez and her recent kidney transplant were considered to be "trending". It is shocking and appalling.

Facebook must combat the issue. Mariella Moon reported that "The study admits that the filter bubble is real...". If our society is going to function as informed citizens, Facebook must get rid of the filter bubble. Filtering issues is only going to make them worse. Uninformed or misinformed citizens will not solve problems. The filter bubble is frustrating for someone like myself who wants to view both sides of issues.

Comments

  1. It is very sad that 5 and 6 years late this continues to be an issue. My favorite news aggregator app just started a "based on what you read" section and I actually find myself NOT clicking on things I am only vaguely because I don't want to find a bunch of articles on that coming up in my feed. Sad that I can't just peruse anymore... I have to mindful of the app keeping tabs on my tabs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Native v. Digital Immigrant...what are you?

I had never heard of the concept of "Digital Natives" and "Digital Immigrants" until this module's readings. The second I started reading Marc Prensky's articles though, the whole idea clicked and actually made sense. Digital natives are those who have lived their whole lives surrounded by technology. Digital immigrants are those who have adopted technology and it's language later in their lives. I would consider myself a digital immigrant. I still remember growing up when my family got dial-up internet. My sister and I thought it was the coolest thing. I also remember having a MySpace profile, something that is completely irrelevant now. The first iPod that I got for Christmas--it was a brick compared to the iPod's children have today. All of these things may date me (even though I am only 23!) but I have adopted the new ways of technology and forced myself to learn them. Gee uses the word "practice" to explain how immigrants can learn th

Using Blogs to Meet Learning Standards

Blogs present a unique opportunity to engage students in technology based learning. Van Olphen, Hofer and Harris presented interesting points in their article "Grounded Tech Instruction: Languages". Their idea of matching technology integration to existing lesson methods is exactly what I currently do in my classroom. I teach Kindergarten with about half of my class being ENL students. These students often times are brushed over because "they do not understand", but these students yearn to learn and are often very bright. I try to engage my ENL students using unique methods that not only get them thinking about English but also allowing them to speak in their own language. Blogging in my classroom would open a whole new window of possibility. One way that blogging could engage my students would be in Step Up To Writing preparation. Step Up To Writing is the writing initiative and assessment in Buffalo Public Schools. The program is very comprehensive and througho

Can You Keep Up?

Technology is moving faster than most educators can keep up. I am included in that group of educators. My students come to school with a diverse knowledge of technology and how it works. The switch to this new kind of education was highlighted very well by the schools in New Brunswick, Canada.  The school district explains that "Education as we know it may be obsolete". My biggest concern still remains; what does this mean for educators like myself? I will be the first to admit that my students are much more tech savvy than I am. They know what to do when the computer freezes or the tablet is not working properly. They can diagnose just about every problem on an iPhone and can easily list a plethora of websites and game sites. When I was in Kindergarten, I learned how to color. I knew my letters and numbers and I began to read and write. My students can do much more than I can in some aspects, but they miss out on others. When thinking about my Kindergarten experience, my tea