Skip to main content

Flipping Out Over Flipped Classrooms

The concept of a flipped classroom seems scary. Students doing the "lecture" portion at home and homework portion at school seems crazy, but it works. John Graney perfectly describes a flipped classroom setting in his article, Flipping Your EL Classroom: A Primer. He says "Learners gain control over their learning." I am a firm believer in that statement. When I first heard about the idea of a flipped classroom, I too, thought it was crazy and could never work. Once I was able to observe a flipped classroom in action though, I realized that by allowing students to do the "more cognitively demanding activities in class", the teacher was able to reach all students where they needed help most. It should not be assumed that students can go home and complete homework in a proficient manner. Not all students will be proficient. In my class, that statistic is closer to 25% proficiency at the end of a lesson. With a large ELL population, my students require more. Instead of sending home homework, I started sending home review sheets. The sheets are usually a half page and simply summarize what we learned today. I usually include a short practice activity that should be manageable for all of the students in my class.

With a flipped classroom, students also gain more time with their teacher. There is no doubt that this is only beneficial. Helaine Marshall describes how this time is beneficial in her article, Three Reasons to Flip Your Classroom. Helaine talks about how through a three step process, our ELL students gain the necessary skills to learn language successfully. By actively participating with their peers in class, instead of listening to a content lecture, ELL students are already building language and collaboration skills. In my own classroom, I have a similar concept. My students often watch a video prior to learning areas and then they go and complete an activity. It is truly amazing what a video or song can do for an ELL student. Many of them quickly understand concepts because they are presented in a different manner.

The concept of a flipped classroom may sound outlandish at first, but for many ELL students, it is the key to success. By extending time with the teacher within the classroom during key cognitive activities, ELL students have a higher chance of mastering concepts that they may not have mastered with regular, direct instruction.

Comments

  1. I think adaptation and knowing your population is the key to making anything a success. It sounds like you are doing both. Students benefit from a wide variety of techniques and this is another one that can be used to their success.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Native v. Digital Immigrant...what are you?

I had never heard of the concept of "Digital Natives" and "Digital Immigrants" until this module's readings. The second I started reading Marc Prensky's articles though, the whole idea clicked and actually made sense. Digital natives are those who have lived their whole lives surrounded by technology. Digital immigrants are those who have adopted technology and it's language later in their lives. I would consider myself a digital immigrant. I still remember growing up when my family got dial-up internet. My sister and I thought it was the coolest thing. I also remember having a MySpace profile, something that is completely irrelevant now. The first iPod that I got for Christmas--it was a brick compared to the iPod's children have today. All of these things may date me (even though I am only 23!) but I have adopted the new ways of technology and forced myself to learn them. Gee uses the word "practice" to explain how immigrants can learn th

Using Blogs to Meet Learning Standards

Blogs present a unique opportunity to engage students in technology based learning. Van Olphen, Hofer and Harris presented interesting points in their article "Grounded Tech Instruction: Languages". Their idea of matching technology integration to existing lesson methods is exactly what I currently do in my classroom. I teach Kindergarten with about half of my class being ENL students. These students often times are brushed over because "they do not understand", but these students yearn to learn and are often very bright. I try to engage my ENL students using unique methods that not only get them thinking about English but also allowing them to speak in their own language. Blogging in my classroom would open a whole new window of possibility. One way that blogging could engage my students would be in Step Up To Writing preparation. Step Up To Writing is the writing initiative and assessment in Buffalo Public Schools. The program is very comprehensive and througho

TED-Ed: The Future of Flipped Classrooms?

I was really excited to be able to create my own TED-Ed lesson in this module. I have completed TED lessons for not only this class but also other classes and I really like doing them. The idea of using a video to teach a concept is really neat to me. For my own TED-Ed lesson, I chose to use Parts of a Plant as my main concept. My main science objective is: Students will be able to name the parts of a plant and briefly describe what they do through an interactive video lesson and mini-assessment. The science performance indicator is 3.1b. These are the standards currently being used in Buffalo Public Schools. The science curriculum is going to be revamped for younger grades in the coming years so these will change. As with all lessons I teach, English Language Arts standards are incredibly important. For this lesson, I chose to focus on L.K.1: Demonstrate command of the conventions of standards English grammar and usage when writing or speaking. This standard fits this activity be