Skip to main content

Digital Native v. Digital Immigrant...what are you?

I had never heard of the concept of "Digital Natives" and "Digital Immigrants" until this module's readings. The second I started reading Marc Prensky's articles though, the whole idea clicked and actually made sense. Digital natives are those who have lived their whole lives surrounded by technology. Digital immigrants are those who have adopted technology and it's language later in their lives. I would consider myself a digital immigrant. I still remember growing up when my family got dial-up internet. My sister and I thought it was the coolest thing. I also remember having a MySpace profile, something that is completely irrelevant now. The first iPod that I got for Christmas--it was a brick compared to the iPod's children have today. All of these things may date me (even though I am only 23!) but I have adopted the new ways of technology and forced myself to learn them. Gee uses the word "practice" to explain how immigrants can learn this new language of technology. I truly believe this because it has taken a lot of trial and error for me to become fluent in the language of technology.

Being a digital immigrant can seem frustrating to some who are learning technology. I do not find technology to be incredibly frustrating. I love to learn and teach others something new (hence why I am a teacher!) and I have found that with practice and trial and error, I am able to figure out new ways of using technology and also new pieces of technology. Starting a graduate program in Education and Technology was one of the best decisions that I have made. I find myself engaged in new forms of technology and excited to try them out with my students. My students, who I would consider digital natives are very engaged and love to be my "guinea pigs" and try out new forms of technology.

Working in such a diverse school, I have found that not all of my students are digital natives. My refugee students, some of which have never even had a bed or a winter jacket, are enamored by technology. They are in shock at the things that we can do with our computers and Promethean Board. I would consider them to be digital immigrants. In the video, a comment was made about 1980 being the "cut-off year" for digital natives. This does not stand true with my students. Even some of my students who have lived here their whole lives have not grown up with the same technology that others in society have. For example, 71% of my students currently do not have internet access at home. It is too expensive for their families and they, very smartly, choose to feed their families instead of having internet. It is a very different picture than what is often painted about our digital natives.

The concept of digital natives and immigrants is something that may seem unsettling at first. When more thought is put into the idea, the ideas of adaptation, learning, and growth are present. The terms are not meant to segregate individuals or place individuals in categories but more so to identify individuals who may still be learning, like myself, and identify individuals who have a plethora of digital knowledge. We are all still learning in our society and each group stands to grow.


Comments

  1. I totally agree that the labels of digital natives and digital immigrants can be misleading. Just because a student is born in a certain year does not make them automatically adept at technology. As you say, certain cultural and economic factors can get in the way of this. It isn't a matter of when you were born, it can be where and how much money you have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using Blogs to Meet Learning Standards

Blogs present a unique opportunity to engage students in technology based learning. Van Olphen, Hofer and Harris presented interesting points in their article "Grounded Tech Instruction: Languages". Their idea of matching technology integration to existing lesson methods is exactly what I currently do in my classroom. I teach Kindergarten with about half of my class being ENL students. These students often times are brushed over because "they do not understand", but these students yearn to learn and are often very bright. I try to engage my ENL students using unique methods that not only get them thinking about English but also allowing them to speak in their own language. Blogging in my classroom would open a whole new window of possibility. One way that blogging could engage my students would be in Step Up To Writing preparation. Step Up To Writing is the writing initiative and assessment in Buffalo Public Schools. The program is very comprehensive and througho

Can You Keep Up?

Technology is moving faster than most educators can keep up. I am included in that group of educators. My students come to school with a diverse knowledge of technology and how it works. The switch to this new kind of education was highlighted very well by the schools in New Brunswick, Canada.  The school district explains that "Education as we know it may be obsolete". My biggest concern still remains; what does this mean for educators like myself? I will be the first to admit that my students are much more tech savvy than I am. They know what to do when the computer freezes or the tablet is not working properly. They can diagnose just about every problem on an iPhone and can easily list a plethora of websites and game sites. When I was in Kindergarten, I learned how to color. I knew my letters and numbers and I began to read and write. My students can do much more than I can in some aspects, but they miss out on others. When thinking about my Kindergarten experience, my tea